Wisconsin infestations of bedbugs
There is a scene in the Steve Martin comedy movie [called “The Jerk”] inwhich the character [Navin R. Johnson] is overly-excited by the arrival of the new phonebook. He thinks he is “somebody”, because his name is in print. The old saying, “any publicity is good publicity” does NOT always apply….. like when the new annual “Top 50 Most BedBug Infested Cities in the USA” list is published.
Contrary to what “Navin” believes [“This is the kind of spontaneous publicity that “makes people”] most Mayors, Chambers of Commerce and City Health Departments would rather NOT be recognized for the inglorious achievement of being on the list, but there they are. Both Orkin and Terminex play this game with PR/news releases as a way to hype the franchise pest control services they sell. The list are not really very scientific, but actually based of the number of service calls received in each city. This introduces reporting variables that have nothing to do with the level of BedBug infestations, but lets allow them to have their “fun” at the expensive of Municipal reputation all across the USA.
Here is the Top 50 Most Bed Bug Infested Cities List [per the newest Orkin press release.]
1. Chicago Il (moving up +1 spot to be the New #1, like Casey Kasum used to say)
2. Detroit MI (up +1)
3. Los Angeles Calif (up +2)
4. Denver Colo (holding steady at #4)
5. Cincinnati Ohio (down the list -4 places, but everyone else in Ohio is “catching-up” fast. )
6. Columbus, Ohio (still ranked #6, but workin’ hard to break that Top 5 goal.) […]